Friday, December 17, 2010

Buck Slobber Brown Ale - number 2

I’ve mentioned before that Buck Slobber Brown took first place in the Amber and Brown American Ale category at the Dominion Cup. Although it was a good beer, it wasn’t exactly what I wanted. I was looking for more nuttyness as well as some citrus. The major changes I made to the original recipe is to toast some whole oats as well as add a little Victory malt to enhance the nut flavor. In addition, I added small charges of Amarillo hops at 15, 10, 5 and 1 minutes as well as for first wort hops.

Brew Date: 11/19/2010
Beer Number: B14
Beer Name: Oatmeal Cookie Brown Ale (Buck Slobber II)
Type: American Brown Ale
Primary Fermenter: 6 gal. glass carboy
Secondary Fermenter: none
Volume: @5.0 gal. wort in fermenter
OG: 1.054 (target of 1.055)
FG: tbd
Expected IBU: 44
Expected SRM: 21
Expected Alcohol %: 5.3%


Ingredients:
6.5 lbs. American 2-row malt
2 lbs Marris Otter
.4 lbs. Chocolate malt
.5 lbs. Crystal 60
.5 lbs. Crystal 120
.25 lbs. Victory malt
.25 lbs. Carapils
1 lb. toasted whole oats
28g (1 oz.) Libery pellet hops (4.5%AA) FWH
14g (½ oz.) Amarillo pellet hops (7.5% AA) FWH
7g (¼ oz.) Warrior pellet hops (15.8% AA) 60 min.
6g (¼ oz.) Libery pellet hops (4.5%AA) 15 min.
7g (¼ oz.) Amarillo pellet hops (7.5% AA) 15 min.
6g (¼ oz.) Libery pellet hops (4.5%AA) 10 min.
7g (¼ oz.) Amarillo pellet hops (7.5% AA) 10 min.
7g (¼ oz.) Libery pellet hops (4.5%AA) 5 min.
7g (¼ oz.) Amarillo pellet hops (7.5% AA) 5 min.
7g (¼ oz.) Libery pellet hops (4.5%AA) 1 min.
7g (¼ oz.) Amarillo pellet hops (7.5% AA) 5 min.
Half of 2L starter WLP005 English Ale yeast

I had more issues draining my mash tun. When cleaning up, I took my manifold apart and it appears that some grain is getting into my manifold and hanging on the ridges left over from where I cut my slots. I need to figure out a way to get in there and clean out these ridges. It was actually a pretty good brew night. Yeast was pitched and everything was cleaned up before midnight. Wort cooling was helped along by the 25F temperature.

No comments: