This Saison is the second batch I brewed in my epic triple brew day. It was also the second stuck sparge of the day due to my manifold disconnecting. Once I finally got it into the fermenter and pitched the yeast, this thing took off like a rocket and needed a blow off. I love me some Saison and I hope that this one, with its more complicated grain bill is a good one.
Brew Date: 4/28/2012
Beer Number: B25
Beer Name: “Redneck Saison 2”
Primary Fermenter: 6 gal. plastic carboy (? days)
Secondary Fermenter: ? (? Days)
Volume: 6 gal.
Expected IBU: ?
Expected SRM: ?
Expected Alcohol %: ?%
5 ½ lbs. Weyerman Pilsner Malt
2 lbs. Maris Otter
1 lb. Wyerman light Munich Malt (8.25L)
¾ lb. wheat malt
¼ lb. acid malt
1 oz. chocolate malt
8 oz. rice hulls
1 lb. light brown sugar
1.25 oz. (35 g) Mt. Hood pellet hops (5.2% AA) @ 60 min
.75 oz. (22 g) Mt. Hood pellet hops (5.2% AA) @ 5 min
½ tsp. black pepper @ 5 min.
WLP565 Belgian Saison I
Step by Step Process:
Yeast Starter (4/21/2012)
- Made 1.8L starter with 180g pilsner & extra light DME
- boiled for 15 minutes and allowed to cool overnight
- transferred to sanitized flask & topped with foil
- pitched 1 vial WLP565 Belgian Saison yeast
- shook infrequently
- Crushed grain in Barley Crusher (double-crushed the wheat)
- Heated 9.5 qt. strike water to @136F and poured into mash tun
- Added grains to tun and stirred – temp. settled at @125F mashed @ 20 min.
- Heated 6.25 qt. water to boiling and poured into mash tun to raise temp. to 149F
- Mashed for 3 hours - ending mash temp was 139F
- Heated 8.25 qt. water to boiling and added to mash tun to bring temp. to @168
- Experienced a stuck mash (manifold detached from drain); poured mash into auxiliary cooler cleaned out and re-attached manifold and returned mash to mash tun
- Recirculated @ 2 qts.
- Opened valve slowly and then wide open and drained into kettle
- While draining, fired burner and set heat on med.
- When empty, filled with 4 gal. of 168F water, stirred mash, recirculated and drained
- Collected a total of @ 8.5 gal. wort
- Brought to a boil and boiled for 90 minutes adding hops per above schedule
- Using wort chiller, cooled to 95F in @ 15 minutes & @75F in @30 min.
- Transferred to sanitized plastic fermenter
- Forgot to add sugar to boil, so placed 1 lb. light brown sugar in pot with @2 cups water and boiled for 15 min, stirring constantly, cooled and added to fermenter
- Crash cooled yeast starter in the morning
- Drained liquid from original starter
- Poured @ 3 qt. hot water into mash tun
- Collected in small pan, boiled for 15 minutes, and cooled in cold water bath
- Poured 3rd runnings wort into yeast starter container
- Activity visible before pitching
- Pitched entire yeast starter @ 73F
- Placed fermenter in fermentation room
- Rolling fermentation within 1 hour, so set up blow off tube and container
- @ 2 days, replaced blow off tube with airlock