Monday, May 14, 2012

Citra Pale Ale Tasting


My new keezer is finally built and dispensing draft beer. The first beer I’ve been able to try from the kegerator is the clean version of the Citra Pale Ale. It is pretty good, but I really don’t see a big difference between the Citra hops and the Amarillo that I typically use in my pale ales. One thing I did the day I tapped the keg is I keg hopped it with an ounce of Citra leaf hops.
Aroma: hops, hops and more hops – citrusy hop aroma with no esters detected
Appearance: deep gold/light amber with a voluminous white head that poured 1 ½ “ thick and fell to ½ “ during the session, leaving a nice lacing down the sides of the glass; cloudy, but okay for a dry-hopped beer (in the last week it has cleared considerably)
Flavor: similar to aroma; this beer is all about the hops, wonderfully citrusy; firm, bitter finish; clear fermentation with no diacetyl detected
Mouthfeel: Carbonation is a little light; medium body, no alcohol warmth, slight hop astringency
Overall Impression: a great APA is a showcase for the hops and this is a good example; My two main complaints were that the carbonation was a little low and it was too cloudy, but in the last week it has carbed up nicely and cleared up quite a bit

No comments: