Monday, October 18, 2010

Amarillo Sky #3

Wow, my efficiency really sucked with this one – only about 58%. This was my first batch with my new larger mash tun and I had some issues. One of the biggest problems, probably the biggest contributor to my low efficiency, was that I must have measured the quantity of my strike water incorrectly. I estimate that I mashed at @ .8 quarts per pound rather than my usual 1.25 quarts per pound of grain. I ended up way low and had to keep adding boiling water to get close to my target mash temperature.

I usually end up bottling @ 4.75 to 4.9 gallons. I ended up bottling 5.27 gallons, therefore I must have ended up with higher than intended volume in the fermenter, which partially accounts for the lower gravity.

One of the consequences of the lower gravity is that the hops really shine through. With a BU/GU ratio of 1.27, it should be pretty hoppy. I’ve been trying to make a Pale Ale with an IPA hop taste, and I think I succeeded with this one. I’ll have to keep the lower gravity in mind when I make this again.


Brew Date: 8/29/2010
Beer Number: B12
Beer Name: Amarillo Sky 3
Type: American Pale Ale
Primary Fermenter: 6 gal. glass carboy (20 days)
Secondary Fermenter: none
OG: 1.047
FG: 1.009
Expected IBU: 60
Expected SRM: 9
Expected Alcohol %: 5.9%

Ingredients:
10 lbs. American 2-row malt
.5 lbs. Crystal 40
.5 lbs. Crystal 60
1 lb. white wheat
½ oz. (14g) Perle pellet hops (8.2%AA) FWH
1 oz. (28g) Amarillo pellet hops (7.0%AA) FWH
½ oz. (14g) Warrior pellet hops (@15.0% AA) 60 min.
½ oz. (13g) Perle pellet hops (8.2%AA) 15 min.
½ oz. (14g)Amarillo pellet hops (7.0%AA) 5 min.
½ oz. (14g) Amarillo pellet hops (7.0%AA) 1 min.
Safeale US-05 dry yeast (pitched directly into fermenter)

• Fermentation started @67F and allowed to rise to 70F
• Carbonated to 2.7 volumes CO2

Improvements for next time:

Lately I’ve been disappointed with the head retention in my beers. I started putting wheat in most of my beers for that reason, but lately I’m not getting the results I desire. I think I’ll add a small amount of carapils to the grain bill. I’ve never used carapils. How much do I need for head retention purposes? I’m hoping for ¼ to ½ pound, but I’m looking for any advice you can give me.

No comments: