Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Amarillo American Wheat II

I absolutely loved this beer last fall and I couldn’t wait to brew it again to have it for the summer this year. Nice firm hop bitterness and plenty of hop flavor and aroma. There is also a nice spicy finish from the wheat. This beer scored 1 point lower than the award winning Brown Ale in the Dominion Cup, but didn’t make it to the best of show round because it ran up against the Best of Show winner, a Kolsch, in the same category.

Brew Date: 6/4/10
Beer Number: B11
Beer Name: Amarillo American Wheat II
Type: American Wheat
Primary Fermenter: 6 gal. glass carboy (34 days)
Secondary Fermenter: none
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.006
Expected IBU: 47
Expected SRM: 4
Alcohol %: 4.6%

Ingredients:
5 lbs. American 2-row malt
5 lbs. white wheat
1 lb. flaked wheat
1 ½ lbs rice hulls
1 oz. Liberty pellet hops (4.5%AA) FWH
1 oz. Amarillo pellet hops (7.5%AA) FWH
1 oz. Liberty pellet hops (4.5% AA) 15 min.
1 oz. Amarillo pellet hops (7.5%AA) 15 min.
1 ½ packets Safeale US-05 dry yeast

Targeted 2.4 volumes of CO2 using 120 g. corn sugar

1 ½ pounds of rice hulls and my sparge problems still re-surfaced. I’m pretty sure this will be my last mash with a steel braid. I have a 48 quart rectangular cooler that I have recently lost the drain plug, so I think I will make a CPVC manifold for it. This will probably also be big enough for me to do 10 gallon batches.

No comments: