Monday, October 5, 2015

2011 Kriek Tasting Notes


The first Lambic I ever brewed was back in 2011.  After about 18 months in the fermenter, I transferred a gallon of it onto 1.4 lbs. of frozen and thawed sweet cherries.  It sat on the cherries for about 2 ½ years.
Over the weekend, I finally got around to doing something with some of the sours I have sitting in bulk in my cellar.  The gallon yielded 9 – 12 oz. bottles of Kriek.  It was a real treat.  The following are the tasting notes from the hydrometer sample that I pulled (which happened to be 1.003 after the original Lambic finished at 1.001.
 
Aroma: The aroma is all about the sour – a lactic aroma with hints of cherry
 

Appearance: Crystal clear with a light pink tint.  Hydrometer sample was still
 

Flavor: A punch of lactic sour hits you right in the face, with a bit of horse blanket in the background.  As it warms the cherry flavor comes forward in full force
 

Mouthfeel: a rather thin mouthfeel and completely absent of carbonation
 

Overall impression: Like a sour cherry pie, I think I’m really going to enjoy this once it carbonates.

No comments: