I hadn’t brewed in over a year when lo and behold my wife had to accompany my daughter most of the day for dance recital practice. I thought I’d try to do a “quick” partial-mash English brown ale. I had only done one partial-mash brew in my life, as I jumped straight to all-grain after that one partial-mash batch.
This ended up being a tasty and very sessionable brown.
With all of the talk of Scotland declaring independence from the UK, I decided to name this Secession Brown Ale.
Brew Date: 5/17/2014
Beer Number: B35
Beer Name: Secession Brown Ale
Type: Northern English Brown Ale
Primary Fermenter: 5 gal. glass carboy (77 days)
Secondary Fermenter: N/A
Volume: @ 5.00 gal into fermenter
Expected IBU: 29
Expected SRM: 14
Expected Alcohol %: 4.46%
Calories: 141/12 oz.
1 lbs. UK 2 row pale malt
9.6 oz. Special Roast
6.4 oz. Victory malt
6.3 oz. Crystal 40L
3.2 oz. Pale Chocolate (200L)
3 lbs. Muntons UK light DME (@15 min.)
0.6 oz. East Kent Goldings (7.2% AA) @60 min.
0.4 oz. East Kent Goldings (7.2 AA) @ 5 min
WLP013 London Ale yeast
Step by Step Process:
- Crushed grain in Barley Crusher
- Heated 3.25 qt. strike water to @175F and poured into mash tun
- Once tun settled to 165F, added grains to tun and stirred – temp. settled at @150F
- Mashed for @3 hours– with ending temp @138F
- Added @3.0 gal. 175F water to tun and let sit for @15 min.
- Manifold came loose – had to empty mash into kettle to re-install manifold; returned mash to tun
- Recirculated @ 2 qt.
- Opened valve slowly and then wide open and drained into kettle
- While draining, fired burner and set heat on medium
- When empty, filled with 3 gal. of @170F water, stirred mash, recirculated and drained
- Brought to a boil
- Pitched bittering hops and boiled for 60 minutes
- Rehydrated 3 lbs. DME in ½ gal. hot water; added to boil w/ 14 min. remaining along with chiller
- 14. Lost rolling boil for @3 min. but returned to rolling boil for last 11 min.
- 15. Added flavor/aroma hops @5 min.
- 16. Ran chiller for @20 min. with wort temp dropping to @79F
- Transferred to sanitized carboy in fermentation chamber with frozen water bottles
- After @12 hours – cooled to upper 58F
- Pitched yeast directly from vial
- OG was 1.043, below targeted OG of 1.047 – probably due to higher volume
- Transferred (approximately 4.75 gal.) to sanitized keg
- Set CO2 to 6 psi (target 2.18 atmospheres at 34F)