Thursday, December 2, 2010

Redneck Alt Tasting Notes

I had the opportunity to taste the Redneck Alt last night. Here are my notes:

Appearance: Deep copper, clear, thin off-white head that lasted through the entire pint

Nose: Malty, toasty, nutty, with slight hints of noble spiciness

Taste: Bitterness from beginning to end; Malty but the balance is definitely toward the bitterness; slight spicy hop flavor; toasty, nutty, almost chocolately but not quite; nice dry finish

Comparison to Style: I think it fits the style well. The biggest problems I see are the color – it may be a couple of SRM too dark (I’m calling it deep copper, but it may in fact be light brown), and the possible perception of chocolate, which would be out of place in competition.

I definitely enjoyed this beer and it came out as I imagined. If I brew it again, I’d probably add small 5 and 10 minute hop additions (yes, hophead, guilty as charged).

No comments: